• Planning a career change?
• Starting a new business?
• Taking an extended career break?
Well – here’s a suggestion – Don’t Give Up The Day Job!
Your “day job” – i.e. the “work you’re known for” is what pays the bills when you’re making a transition. It’s what provides some stability when your new business idea or career transition takes a stumble, which it will at some stage.
So as liberating as it is to say “I’ve left my banking/legal/marketing job forever!” – don’t do it.
Regardless of whether you have a “permanent” job or not – you, me and everyone else are now freelancers.As Dan Pink predicted is his 2002 book “Free Agent Nation” – we’ll all be working for ourselves in the future.
Well the future has arrived and what that means is:
Something happens which stops you in your tracks:
• Major changes at work which make you think… “Is this what I really want?”
• A major health problem (for you or a family member)
• The death of a close friend or family member
• A divorce or major a relationship break-up
• Financial difficulties
• Extended travel or volunteering activities that make you question what you’re doing with your life
• External factors that move you (e.g. 9/11, the tsunami in Asia, earthquake in Haiti)
Tip: Remember, everything happens for a reason. Some of the worst things that happen to you will teach you the biggest lessons. Sounds very clichéd – but in years to come, you’ll know them to be true.